This course is designed to provide you with the knowledge, skills and understanding to practice safely and competently in a variety of health care settings. On successful completion of this course, graduates will be eligible to apply to the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) for registration as a Registered Nurse.
Once registered with AHPRA, graduates can work as a Registered (Division 1) Nurse in a range of health settings in Australia such as: acute care, chronic care, aged care, rehabilitation and mental health. Health care settings include hospitals, aged care facilities, disability services and rehabilitation clinics.Course Accreditation
This course is recognised throughout Australia and is accredited by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC).Course Pathways
This course may also provide postgraduate pathways into the Master of Nursing, and other higher qualifications in nursing and/or health care field.How to Apply
The application process involves 5 steps: application, interview, offer letter, payment and confirmation of admission. Applicants must successfully complete each stage in order to enrol.
There are three ways which applicants can submit their initial application:
1. Online: Applications can be completed online by clicking here.
2. Email: Applications can be downloaded from here. Once completed, scan and send the application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Post: Applications can be downloaded from here. You can send your completed application and required documentation to our Perth or Melbourne office. Addresses for these offices can be found here.
We have two campuses, Melbourne (Heidelberg) and Perth:
|Melbourne (Heidelberg) Campus||Perth Campus|
|597-599 Upper Heidelberg Road
Victoria 3081 Australia
|Level 2, Carillon City Arcade
680-692 Hay Street Mall
Perth, West Australia 6000 Australia
Throughout the course students will be assessed using a variety of tools such as:
• Seminar presentation
• Written assessment
• Practical assessment
• Project work
• Examination or testing
• Professional experience placement assessment
This program consists of a theory component of 160 hours and an acute care Professional experience placement of 240 hours.
All Theoretical Assessments must be passed before the Professional experience placement component can be commenced.
The program is divided into 4 learning areas:
1. Professional Issues in Clinical Practice
• The Australian Health Care environment
• Professional bodies, codes, guidelines & legal implications in nursing
• Cultural & Ethical awareness in nursing
• Contemporary Issues in Nursing practice
• Indigenous health and culture
2. Comprehensive Health Assessment
• Occupational Health & Safety
• Communication & Documentation in Nursing
• Pharmacology in Nursing
• Complex Nursing Care
3. Evidence Based Nursing Care
• Introducing evidence into nursing practice
• Concepts and challenges in patient care
• Mental health
• Nursing care of the older adult
• Leadership & Management in nursing
4. Professional experience Placement
Duration & Mode of Delivery
The course consists of 10–12 weeks full time study, comprising:
- 4 weeks: Theory sessions at campus
- 6-8 weeks: Professional experience placement sessions at clinical facilities
As part of the application process, all candidates are required to:
1. Provide a letter from AHPRA confirming eligibility to undertake the IRON course.
2. Be successful at IHNA selection process.
3. Appropriate reference checks.
For further information about AHPRA’s eligibility letter requirements, please click here.
The total fee is AUD$12500 (including GST) for 2014 and is payable upfront. The total course fee must be paid prior to course commencement.
No scholarships or subsidies are available at this time.
Immunisation Declaration Form
Assignment Cover Sheet
Complaints and Appeal Form
Student Evaluation Form - Student Services
Academic Participation And Progress Policy
Access & Equity Policy
Student Complaints and Appeal
Student Complaints Resolution Procedure
Conduct of Examinations Policy and Procedure
Deferral / Leave of Absence/ Withdrawal / Discontinuation Policy
Plagiarism and Cheating Policy and Procedure
Risk assessment and risk minimisation policy
Student Code of Behaviour
Admission Process Flow Chart